Tuesday 17 February 2009

Sport nutrition


I have been doing a little bit of reading about nutrition, and there's alot of junk out there let me tell you. Great article at gymjones on protein and fat intake, inspired me to look a little more into it. It's very easy for us in the developed world to eat crap, we don't have to hunt or fight for it, and marketing campaigns bombard us with product after product. Robwolf also has a good spin on the whole paleo thing too, which to my understanding is 38 % protein, 39 % fat, 23 % carbohydrate by energy; as opposed to typical Western-diets of 16% protein, 49% carbohydrate, 34% fat by energy. 

I did some rough numbers for my body weight (84kg) on how much I should be eating to get a feel for my diet below, very interesting. I'm going to try and keep to this diet, and keep to the principles of higher protein content and 'good' fats, minimising simple carbohydrates (white bread, pasta, and rice). Keeping to a more... paleolithic-oriented diet.

2 comments:

  1. Careful with those mass measurements. A lot of the time they are for lean mass. Which is body weight - fat.
    My self for example I weigh 100kg, but lean mass is closer to 80kg, so I do my protein intake based on 80kg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point... going to add another post to discuss...

    ReplyDelete